Max Norris Qualifies for Cross Country National Championships

Foot Locker Cross Country Championships

On Saturday afternoon, a noteworthy senior athlete accomplished an incredible feat in Harriton history. Max Norris, a senior boys’ cross country runner, earned a trip to San Diego for the Cross Country High School National Championships. After this astonishing feat of athleticism, The Banner set out to interview the Rams’ cross country icon.

Max’s initial reaction to qualifying for nationals was one of shock. “I still can’t believe it! Qualifying for this race has been my main goal since I started running in eighth grade.”

His journey to the top hasn’t been one of all joy, however. During his eight-month workout program, he sustained an adductor injury that limited his ability to train on a daily basis. But, thanks to fierce determination, he overcame the injury and worked extremely hard to achieve this goal. “Somehow I just kept getting better and better each week. Every single race this season I’ve exceeded most people’s expectations (including my own!).”

And, his Rocky-esque rise to the top has only begun. “Most [experts] will probably predict that I will finish somewhere around 25th out of the 40 boys that have qualified [for nationals].” But, the challenges aren’t stopping him whatsoever. “On December 8th, I might as well shoot for a top 15 finish to become an All American.”

While achieving All-American status is something of high importance to Max, there is an underlying theme in why he works so hard at running for Harriton and beyond. “My biggest goal however is to simply inspire other Harriton runners, especially the underclassmen, to put in the miles, to dig deep during track workouts, and to discover that their potential in the sport is greater than they dare to dream!”

Everyone should keep close tabs on Max’s journey to San Diego and cheer him on when they see him at school!