Louisville Comes Back to Win National Championship

It was a game for the ages; one that will never be forgotten in college basketball lore.

Last week in Atlanta, in front of a packed house of over 70,000 strong, top-overall- seed Louisville capped off their tournament run with an 82-76 victory over upstart Michigan to win the school’s third National Championship.

The Wolverines started off the game very strong, taking a 12 point lead late in the first half despite star point guard Trey Burke sitting on the bench with 2 fouls. Backup point guard Spike Albrecht came off the bench and made four three’s in the first 10 minutes. But Louisville quickly responded, as their star shooter (and Final Four Most Outstanding Player) Luke Hancock made four three’s of his own in the span of two minutes to tie the game late in the first half. Michigan led 38-37 at halftime.

In the second half, Louisville got off to a good start and maintained a six-point lead heading into the final minutes. Peyton Siva took over the game for the Cardinals, and Chane Behanan and Gorgui Dieng dominated the interior for the Cardinals. Poor clock management in the last six minutes ultimately cost Michigan the game, and Louisville went on to win a back-and-forth struggle by a score of 82-76. Both teams played very well, but in the end Louisville was able to make the big plays and take home the title.

After the game, injured guard Kevin Ware was the final Louisville player to cut down the nets. Ware suffered a gruesome knee injury in the Elite Eight contest against Duke and was out for the National Championship game.