Boys’ Tennis Season Wrap-Up

After two months of thrilling action from the Harriton Boys’ Tennis Team, their very successful 2013 campaign came to an end in the first round of states against LaSalle on Tuesday at Arthur Ashe Courts.

After finishing Central League play with only two losses, the Rams moved on to District playoffs where they defeated Downingtown East and Radnor to advance to states. Junior singles player, Aaron Lazar, and sophomore, Griffin Kivitz, won both of their matches in these rounds in front of huge crowds at the Harriton courts cheering them on with fervor. The doubles team of senior captains Michael Kontra and Jeremy Weinstock also destroyed their opponents in both matches, which ultimately put the team into the state tournament to the joy of several fans who were there for the Radnor match.

But the main attraction of Harriton fans across all grades was junior #1 singles player Jabari Parker, one of the best tennis players in the entire Philadelphia area. Parker won his match easily against Downington East, while ultimately splitting sets with his opponent from Radnor before the match was called.

Once the team reached states, they were faced with a tough draw against LaSalle High School in the opening round. The doubles team of Hefei Liu and Jeffrey Solomon won their match to put Harriton up 1-0 in the 5-match series, but the team could ultimately not pull off the upset as the Rams singles players lost three tightly contested matches to fall 3-1.

Expectations were high for the boys coming into this season, and it is definitely safe to say that a state tournament appearance meets these presumptions. While the 2013 season came to somewhat of a sudden end, the future of the Harriton Boys’ Tennis program under veteran coach, Jack Ladden, is most definitely bright; only two seniors are graduating from the team, and there are a plethora of talented freshman that can fill their spots on next year’s roster. Look for the Rams to make it back to states in 2014.