The James Harden Situation

It’s just another offseason in Philadelphia. Pictures of Joel Embiid looking slimmer than ever coupled with the signing of veterans like Patrick Beverley and Mo Bamba have fans excited for his upcoming season. Yet it wouldn’t be a Sixers offseason without the endless cycle of drama that surrounds one of their star players.

Just a season and half into his Sixers tenure, James Harden has already expressed his wish to play for another team. Ever since his Houston Rockets days, James Harden has proven that he cannot remain healthy or show competent effort when it really matters the most: the playoffs (a fault he shares with teammate Joel Embiid). Unfortunately, Harden refuses to join the team for training camp showing that he would sit out until he is finally traded. Sixers fans, does that sound familiar?

Still, it would be rude to call James Harden’s time in Philly a complete bust. He led the NBA in assists at a remarkable 10.7 per game, and shot his personal highest 3-point percentage since 2012. Embiid and Harden’s pick and roll was nearly unstoppable due to their ability to draw both defenders and let the open man shoot. It is also important to mention Harden’s complete change of style.

Just a few years ago, James Harden was averaging over 36 points per game and leading his team to the top seed in a competitive western conference. Although he is not the scorer he once was, he showed true maturity when he became the great passer he now is. Lastly, the devastating loss to the Boston Celtics in the second round of the playoffs is not James Harden’s fault. Yes, he played terribly in Game 7, but he also carried the Sixers with 2 40+ point wins.

Why hasn’t James Harden been traded, yet? Darryl Morey is in charge of the Sixers’ trades and signings. He dealt an almost impossible Ben Simmons situation into one of the best playmakers in the league, James Harden. Although Harden may sit out and choose to not play a single minute for the Sixers, Morey will not trade him unless it favors the Sixers. Harden has been pushing for a trade to the Los Angeles Clippers to form a dominant trio with Paul George and Kawhi Leonard. However, their lack of picks and quality players outside of their superstars doesn’t get the Sixers too excited. Nevertheless, Sixers fans should feel confident that their head of basketball operations will find the right trade for James Harden. 

Ultimately, Philadelphia basketball needs a change. I am glad that they finally got rid of Doc Rivers, as he is partly to blame for the Sixers’ failures. I hope that Nick Nurse, their new head coach, will teach the players how to play more as a team and less with an ego. I say enough with drama and distractions; let’s finally win an NBA championship and let’s do it peacefully.