My Reaction To the Eagles Offseason

So far, the Eagles have made many moves, from getting one of the best running backs in the game to bringing back old players to losing key players from last year’s team. Here is my overall opinion on their offseason moves.

The first part of the offseason that shocked and saddened the Eagles fan base was the retirement of Fletcher Cox and Jason Kelce. Both of these players were extremely valuable to the team’s success as they both dominated their careers as Eagles and have been impactful on the rest of the team. Starting with Jason Kelce, not only the greatest center of all time but also the greatest offensive lineman of all time. Kelce earned all six of his all-pro first teams after 30, the most of all time, so it hurts to lose a player like that. The fan base is also reeling from there loss of Fletcher Cox, who bleeds green and is one of the best defensive linemen to ever do it. He is a four-time all-pro first-team player. It will hurt to lose great players on both sides of the ball.

After this horrible news, Eagles General Manager Howie Roseman had to turn this offseason around and signed two-time Pro Bowl running back Saquon Barkley. Saquan will bring a whole new look to the offense this season. Not only is Saquan good in the running game, recording 962 rushing yards last year, but Saquan can bench a whopping 585 pounds, which makes him one of the best people to push Jalen Hurts in the famous tush push. 

Another move the Eagles made was signing Bryce Huff, an edge rusher from the Jets. Bryce Huff had a fantastic season, recording a team-high ten sacks, 21 QB hits, and 67 QB pressures. Bryce Huff was called a “budding breakout star” by sports journalist Jack Bell. Bryce Huff will be critical in replacing the lost star edge Rusher, Haason Reddick, who signed to the Jets recently.

A move that surprised Eagles fans was re-signing former Eagle Safety CJ Gardner Johnson. CJ Gardner Johnson was one of the best safeties for the Eagles when he was on the team, recording 6 interceptions. This move surprised me because he left the Eagles calling Philadelphians “obnoxious” and that he couldn’t “stand them.” Y his doesn’t bother me because he is a massive addition to the team and will help recover this horrible Eagles secondary.

Overall, the Eagles made huge additions to the team that they desperately needed. After finishing the season horribly by losing to the Bucs in the first round of the playoffs, I was hopeless about what would happen next, but after this offseason, I can say confidently that this was one step in the right direction.