Harriton Jukebox: JoJo is an Artist Worth Witnessing

Remember that sassy 13-year-old girl who topped the charts at number one in July 2004?  And again in 2006, her wild vocals wowing us all the same?  Now, she’s 21, returning to grace the world with her third studio album.

Born Joanna Noëlle Blagden Levesque, JoJo grew up in a one-bedroom apartment in Foxborough, Massachusetts with her mom. Offered her first record deal at 6-years-old, JoJo recorded her live demo in 2001, featuring covers of songs by artists such as Etta James and Stevie Wonder.

Her voice is raw and real.  With her first breakthrough single, “Leave (Get Out),” JoJo demonstrated a sophistication and attitude that is present throughout all of her music.  In the same way, “Not That Kind Girl,” “Too Little Too Late,” and “Can’t Take That Away From Me” exemplify her respect and sense of ownership.

Her self-titled album and her 2010 mixtape The High RoadCan’t Take That Away From Me (formerly titled All I Want Is Everything), is a prelude to her upcoming album.  The free download experiments with a broad range of sounds, such as pop, hip-hop, and soul, in an effort to develop a new sound.

JoJo’s upcoming album, originally titled Jumping Trains, features the single “Disaster,” seen below. The song acts as an ideal transitional piece from her old style to her new one, incorporating both the passion of her earlier days and a new maturity.  With the title scrapped, JoJo’s new album has yet to be named.

Still, the album promises maturity. JoJo’s second single, “Demonstrate,” showcases her vocals weaving through the intensifying synthesizers, revealing a deep and sonorous quality to her soulful voice.  That’s why her comeback is worth witnessing.