The Back-to-School Excitement: How Staples Stays Ahead in the Supply Shopping Game

For many students, one of the most thrilling aspects of the school year is the anticipation of school supply shopping. There’s a unique excitement that comes with walking into a fully stocked Staples, list in hand, ready to explore aisles filled with everything from three-ringed binders to school year planners. It’s a journey of discovery, even prompting some to ponder if they truly need another package of pens when they have a perfectly good one at home. So, what’s the secret behind stores like Staples that manage to keep this excitement alive year after year and outshine their competition?

First, these stores stay ahead; Staple starts its back-to-school campaign in late June. Believe it or not, shoppers usually take two or three trips to compile all the gear they need for the first day of school, and they need two or three weeks to do it. This early launch allows Staples to cater to these early birds. Additionally, Staples invests in marketing campaigns specifically tailored to the back-to-school season. These campaigns feature their wide array of products, enticing promotions, and compelling value propositions, ensuring that the brand stays at the forefront of consumers’ minds throughout the back-to-school shopping period.

This year, Staples introduced its “Business is Human” campaign, reinforcing the company’s belief that while artificial intelligence is indeed a powerful tool, it achieves its fullest potential when combined with human insights and expertise. Staples’ CEO, John Lederer, shared his perspective, stating “When making significant purchasing decisions, businesses demand more than mere interaction with an algorithm or a bot. To truly excel for our customers, human intelligence is indispensable. At Staples, we firmly believe that human expertise, when merged with artificial intelligence, forms the winning formula for business customers.” By emphasizing the human element, Staples aims to establish deeper emotional connections with its customers, going beyond the transactional relationship and fostering stronger customer loyalty and engagement.

Staples has a strong physical retail presence, making its stores easily accessible to a wide range of consumers. This advantage allows customers to physically interact with products before making a purchase decision, offering a tactile shopping experience that online retailers can’t replicate. Staples also uses its store to emphasize its range of school supplies, from pens and tape in one row, to notebooks and laptops in the next. This extensive product assortment allows customers to find everything they need in one place, making it the most convenient choice for back-to-school shopping.

While Staples employs a range of successful strategies, one significant challenge is the impact of inflation. According to the NRF’s report, families with children in elementary school through high school are expected to spend approximately $25 more on school supplies this year compared to the previous year. To counteract this trend and prevent a loss of customers, Staples continues to offer competitive pricing and promotions during the back-to-school season. Shoppers can enjoy discounts and deals such as “Buy 1, Get 2 Free” on select supplies, which appeals to price-conscious consumers. However, Staples isn’t the only player striving to mitigate the effects of inflation.

Walmart, for instance, has announced that it will maintain school supply prices at the same level as the previous year. Parents can purchase the 14 most popular items for a total of just $12.94. Additionally, Target has set competitive pricing for basic school supplies, some as low as 25 cents.

What sets Staples apart is its year-round availability of school and office accessories. While other retailers primarily stock school supplies seasonally, Staples keeps these items on its shelves throughout the year. This means students can rush in for a poster board the day before a crucial presentation or grab a pack of #2 pencils right before their SAT exams, even in May. Every student knows the pressure of leaving assignments until the last minute, and Staples is there to provide support and supplies, year-round.