Live Action Tangled: Rapunzel Returns

With the recent uptick in live action remakes, it looks like Disney may be making a live action Tangled! While nothing has been officially confirmed, fans have been speculating who will be cast. According to a recent article by The DisInsider, Florence Pugh is highly anticipated to play the role of Rapunzel. As an actress who has already been a part of Disney’s Black Widow as Yelena Belova, she would be the perfect choice. DisInsider’s article created a buzz for the film, and now people everywhere are discussing it. Hopefully now that the writers strike has ended, we can receive more news as to what Disney is planning.

As the eighth-highest grossing movie in 2010, Rapunzel made $592.4 million in box office worldwide. Creating a live action would be a good move for Disney, considering that even spinoff shows such as Rapunzel’s Tangled Adventure are still popular. Beloved by all, the remake would create a sense of nostalgia to those who watched the movie as kids, and reinvigorate the story for generations to come. Remaking this iconic story would be a great opportunity to correct any mistakes that were made and add new elements, since the way the movie is viewed has changed over time. 

When looking for information about the remake online, however, one has to be careful of all the false rumors that are spreading. Mouse Trap News, who often writes Disney satire, claimed in a recent article that Jada Pinkett, wife of Will Smith, would be cast as the new Rapunzel. Despite this article being written as a complete joke, it is now the first thing that you see when you google who will be playing Rapunzel in the remake. Various other platforms claim that this movie will come out in 2024, regardless of the fact that Disney has not yet confirmed anything. In spite of the rumors, we should all get excited for the potential new retelling of this cherished childhood tale.