SZA’s Grammys Surprise and Her Underlying Environmental Message

Fans of SZA paying attention to commercial breaks during Sunday’s Grammy broadcast were in for an unexpected treat: SZA debuted her new song “Saturn” during a MasterCard commercial. This is the first release from her highly anticipated upcoming album Lana which followed her live Grammy performances of “Snooze” and “Kill Bill.”

Her performance was part of an ad for Mastercard’s Priceless Planet Coalition, an effort that aims to restore 100 million trees in forests around the world, working with environmental organizations Conservation International and World Resources Institute. 

The song – and SZA’s execution of it – made a clear connection to nature and the climate crisis. The lyrics relay distressing thoughts about the state of the world, a feeling anyone suffering from climate anxiety can relate to: “Stuck in this paradigm / Don’t believe in paradise / This must be what hell is like / There’s got to be more, got to be more / Sick of this head of minе / Intrusive thoughts, they paralyze / Thе fun is done, to summarize.” 

Meanwhile, the set, which starts drab and dark, grows increasingly lush and verdant as she swings from trees and flowers in an outfit featuring sewn-in seeds, to symbolize that hope is not lost. “We are a force of nature when we come together,” she says as the performance ends, ensuring that her environmental message is not lost on anyone.

The message from SZA – and Priceless Planet Coalition – is simple: to fight the climate crisis, we must restore nature’s power as a climate change solution. That’s because nature offers a carbon-absorbing and storing technology unlike any other right now: photosynthesis. Through this process, trees and plants remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and store it in their growth (or “biomass”). Nature’s environmental impact is monumental: nature can provide at least 30 percent of the emissions reductions we need to stave off runaway climate change.  

Proponents of natural climate solutions say that all answers to the climate crisis must be pursued. In other words, nature cannot replace reducing fossil fuel use. We need a both/and approach to solve the problem because even if we slashed fossil fuel use to zero, we’d still lose the war against climate change if we don’t work to protect and restore nature’s ability to reduce CO2.

SZA is working with Mastercard to give out the American hornbeam seeds sewn into her “Saturn” performance outfit via social media. Mastercard holders aged 18 and over are invited to comment “” on Matercard’s Instagram post featuring a clip of the performance for a chance to win a seed from her outfit.  

View Comments (1)
About the Contributor
Eden McCloskey
Eden McCloskey, Staff Writer
Eden is a junior. During the school year you can find her studying ballet, and in the spring, playing lacrosse at Harriton. She loves live music, the performing arts, and traveling with the beach being a key destination. You can commonly find her watching Gilmore Girls, and staying up to date with her club projects. 

• C

CMFeb 16, 2024 at 10:14 am

Not sure how I stumbled upon this, but I was one of the Art Directors who came up with this campaign. So lovely to see this in a HS newspaper! I was the editorial designer on staff when I was younger. Keep it up!

Reply