Senior Spotlight: Kevin Lawson

Harriton Senior Kevin Lawson has been a very successful student, athlete, and leader throughout his career at Harriton.  He is one of the most well-liked, well-respected students of the senior class, and many consider him to be “the man” of the Harriton Boys Soccer Team. The Banner caught up with Mr. Lawson to ask him a few questions to find out more about the man behind the myth.

In the Harriton community, Kevin Lawson is mainly recognized as a special type of athlete. However, he is also quite the scholarly gentleman in the classrooms and halls of our school.  This year, Lawson is taking two AP classes, his favorite being AP United States Government. He elaborated, “AP Gov made me find a new love for politics.  I’m actually thinking about studying politics in college now because of what I’m learning with Mr. Santa Maria.”

While Lawson loves his AP Government class with Mr. Santa Maria, he also has great respect for Mr. Scullin. “He’s just a ridiculous and wild guy. He loves teaching, and enjoys his job so much.”

When many people think of Kevin Lawson, they also think about his great sense of humor and outgoing personality. This is reflected by his favorite TV show: Parks and Recreation. Lawson loves it so much that, “I wake up every morning a little bit earlier so I can watch an episode while I eat breakfast.” If he could choose one person in the world to have dinner with, Kevin would choose Steve Carell “in a heartbeat.” The sign of a fan of good comedy.

On the athletic fields, Kevin Lawson is as dedicated as they come. “I just play a lot of sports in general. I am picking up lacrosse, starting to run so I can get in shape for college, and I’ve been lifting to try to bulk up.” However, students and teachers at Harriton mainly know Lawson as a highly skilled leader of the Harriton Boys Soccer Team.

Kevin remembers picking up soccer around the age 3, but  “I can’t say when I really became interested [in soccer], because I can’t really remember a time when I wasn’t interested.  My interest has really been [growing] recently because of my goal to play in college.”

Playing soccer has also shaped Lawson as a person.  “It’s definitely made me a harder-working person.  It has taught me that I’d rather work hard, and sacrifice a little fun time, to be able to look back and [see results].”

This year, under Lawson’s leadership, Boys Soccer finished with an 8-2-1 record in the Central League and hosted a District Playoff game for the first time in school history. Even though the team lost in the first round to Abington, Kevin Lawson captained the Rams to new, extraordinary heights that many felt were unattainable this year because of the team’s move from AA to AAA.