Open-Mic Night: A Smashing Success

The first ever Open Mic Night, sponsored by the Class of 2015, came to the Harriton courtyard on the night of Thursday, October 25. Mrs. Dennis and Mr. Olster, the Class of 2015 sponsors, worked hard and organized a brilliant show.

Although the turnout was low, (perhaps because the IB program meeting was scheduled on the same night) the 20+ audience members had a great time, dancing under the stars, drinking hot chocolate, and listening to the sweet sounds of some of Harriton’s finest musicians, many of whom are involved in band, orchestra, and chorus. The singers and instrumentalists each performed one or two songs before a short intermission for snacks, returning with more after the break.

The show spanned a multitude of genres, including theater, pop, and jazz.  Sean Green performed a smooth rendition of “Corner of the Sky” from Pippin, and Virginia Vass’ passionately sang “Watch What Happens” from Newsies. Gianna Robertson showcased her vocals with “Gravity” by Sara Bareilles, and Nolan Gardner accompanied Marcel Werder and Nicole Cooper, performing Taylor Swift’s “Everything Has Changed.”  In addition to student-run performances, Mr. Joseph’s terrific jazz band enthusiastically played a quick set.  Two soloists even executed original songs.  Sophie Siegel showcased “Forget It” on piano and vocals, and Natalie Chapkis displayed her talents with “The Weirdest Things” on guitar and vocals. Sophomore Ben Appel, senior Tara McAfee, and I also performed. Every performer stepped up to the microphone and delivered a great show.

Mr. Eveslage dropped in for a short time and gave high praise to the event. “Open Mic Night was a really positive event. It is always nice to see students proudly display their creative talents, especially when peers and adults have an opportunity to share their genuine appreciation. The student performances were stellar and widely appreciated by all in attendance. I applaud the student participants and the class sponsors for organizing the event.”